Pages

Tuesday 16 April 2013

Out and About - Day 25 - Midway Realisations and So Much More!

April 15, 2013
Mendel University, Špilberk Castle, Brno Dam, Some Pub Somewhere


Today marks my third week here in Czech Republic, which means I'm halfway through my internship. 

The fact that SPEAK! Project will soon end and I'll be heading back to the Philippines in a few weeks truly saddens me. Not that I don't want to see my family and friends back in the Philippines, because I miss them too. But by now, Brno really has a very special place in my heart. The places, the people, the connections I made, and the memories I've had - they're all so dear to me.

I don't want to go oh-so sentimental now, as I'll save my drama for our last few days here...

***

I have two classes every Monday, and trying to escape the four boring walls of the classroom, we decided to hold our classes outdoors. For my first class, we had it at a park in Mendel University, and for the second class, we had it at the castle grounds of Špilberk. It was nice going out with them, and the weather was warm too, so it was pretty much a good day to have outdoor classes.

With my first class :)


***

After classes, I headed back to the dorm and waited for Justine, as Aor and Snizhana have evening classes. I was kind of tired, really, and all I wanted to do was sleep in for the rest of the afternoon. However, when Justine arrived, a student of hers, named Martin, asked her out for a walk around the Brno Dam. Justine didn't want to go alone, so she tagged me along, even if I wanted to rest.

I have no regrets of coming, though, because I really enjoyed the walk, and the place was so beautiful! It was just about sunset, and everything seemed so calm and quiet, except for the birds in the trees. Seated on a cliff, we watched the sunset.

Shades of blue, orange, and purple painted the late afternoon sky, and it was just one of the most wonderful things I've seen here so far. We carried on walking after that. We just walked... And walked... And walked... In total, we walked a distance of about 8km. If we didn't accept the invitation of Paja to drink and eat out tonight, we could've gone farther.


No, Justine, I won't push you!




Thank God, I was ready for the pushing pranks!





***

And so... I had my first taste of Czech beer tonight. 

Paja invited us to have a drink at a pub with the AIESECers, and we obliged. 

Czech Republic is famous for their beers, and I'm kind of happy that I finally got to taste their pride. The taste was pretty strong. Very bitter, in fact. I'm not a beer expert, but I think it's pretty good; however, I don't plan on drinking some again soon. I didn't even drink much! I just drank, like, an inch and a half of the glass. Haha! Alcohol really isn't my thing.

I also had some Halušky for dinner. It's Slovakia's national food, and I love it! I first tasted it in Bratislava, but as I couldn't get enough of it, I had some again tonight.

Na zdraví!
(Cheers!)


With Paja and Justine :)
And no, we're not drunk.
A sip of beer won't make you drunk.


***

Last Monday, I sent Selene a post card I got here in Brno, and yesterday, she was able to receive it! I'm so glad that it was delivered in a week's time, and she liked it!

You see, Selene has become a really dear friend of mine. We haven't met yet and it's only been a month since we started talking, but we grew really close every single passing day. In fact, she's the only one who constantly chats with me here when I feel alone. She keeps me sane, and we just talk about everything we could think of - be it life, love, music, and fandoms.

I really wish to meet her someday in Argentina, or maybe, we could meet in the Philippines, or better yet, take a trip to our dream country, India, together. 

I'm kind of sad that our communication will be cut short soon, due to some financial problems of her family. But we'll be snail-mailing each other, and I guess that's more meaningful. 

I love you so much, Selene, and I couldn't thank you more! :*

-Selene is a budding blogger and writer, and we would really appreciate it if you'll visit her blog: Life Of Sel-

Here's the beautiful Selene holding the post card
I sent her :)


***

Say hello to The Flame's new Copy Editor! Yep, me! hahahaha!

After trying out for the position of Literary Editor, I knew I would have no chance of making it cos 1 - I will be leaving for Czech Republic;  2 - I did horribly in the exam; 3 - I wouldn't be able to attend any of the interviews. With that, I was expecting nothing, really, because after all, I knew I wouldn't make it. And... I did not make it! But this is a surprise!

I just received a message from Abu - a friend of mine who's an artist in The Flame - congratulating me, and I was, like "Why?", and then I found out that I am the publication's new copy editor. I am very thankful to our previous editors for entrusting this position to me. And to everyone who made it into The Flame's 2013-2014 editorial board, CONGRATULATIONS! Cheers to a new year!




Andz

No comments:

Post a Comment