Pages

Sunday 4 December 2011

Sunday Stage: Disney's The Little Mermaid


I am lucky enough to catch the last weekend show of Atlantis Productions' Disney's The Little Mermaid musical. Making things better, we're in the VIP box, since a friend of mama works at the company who owns the theatre. It's kinda complicated, but the important thing is that I got to watch it, because it was the best thing I've seen on stage...yet!

The props are great, but the backdrop is even cooler, since they used puppetry, animation, shadows, and lights that blend in to create images. The costumes are well-thought out. The lighting is perfect. And the cast is superb! I am not a fan of Filipino singers (I admit it!) but I have to say that they pulled it off BIG TIME!

I have to give Rachel Ann Go my compliments for being such in-character. She delivered her lines with this princess-y accent and tone. Her actions are innocent and curious just like Ariel. And those legs... WOW. Watching her is like watching (and hearing) a real Disney Princess on stage! Then when she sang "Part of Your World", my eyes started to well with tears, and goosebumps rose on my skin! It was just a gem to watch, and I just wished the song lasted longer.

Erik Santos, who plays the role of Prince Eric is great on stage as well - came a bit of a surprise to me, really. His version of "Her Voice" is totally swoon-worthy. His singing was clear and powerful, he has to work on his speech skills though. But don't get me wrong! His speaking wasn't bad at all. It just needs improvement. And of course, Jinky Llamanzares is the perfect Ursula. The tentacles were just as electrifying as her musical numbers.

Aside from "Part of Your World", I really enjoyed the colourful musical numbers of "Under the Sea" and "Kiss the Girl". Bubbles, fog, sea creatures, fireflies, and vibrant colours were everywhere, bringing out the child in me. I was staring at almost everything on stage in full awe. Brilliant is all I could say!

Atlantis Production's The Little Mermaid is a must-see and a real treat for the whole family. There are laughs, tears, music, and romance - something for everyone to love! Though there are only 6 days remaining till the show closes, you wouldn't want to miss it!

For more information, check their Facebook page and official website.

A view from our box. Above everything and everyone else...

"Part of Your World"

 After the storm...

"Under the Sea" 

Ariel Has Legs! 

Here are the gulls teaching Ariel how to walk... 
Weird cos what do they know really about walking? THEY FLY!

Ariel falls - LITERALLY!

A meal at the palace 

"Kiss the Girl" 

 "Sha-la-la-la-la-la ... my, oh, my!"

Eric makes a choice 

The wedding 


Finally kissed the girl... 


 Happily ever after

Sebastian and the mermaids dance


Curtain call


A quick peek!

We got to meet two of the cast members, namely Scuttle and one of Ariel's sisters (who happens to be an alumni of my current university!), but the photos need serious editing because of the lighting... So yeah, I'll post later if I could!!!!


Andz

No comments:

Post a Comment