Pages

Friday 1 July 2011

Potter Post Today: My Best Friend Harry

I was in my first grade when I was first introduced to Harry.



My family and I had just finished shopping at the supermarket, and we wanted to cool off that day by watching a movie. My cousin, too young and all, wanted to watch Monsters Inc. but I, adventurous and magically-inclined ever since then, told my mum and dad that I wanted to watch the film about this bespectacled boy with a lightning bolt scar on his forehead - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. After watching the movie, my life was changed forever - and I mean it! Forever.

When I was younger, I used to wear my lolo's glasses, and I'd let everyone call me Harry. I wore my hair short and messy, and I'd blurt out spells every once in a while.

My scanned Nick mag
Me and my mum at a
London telephone booth
During my intermediate years in grade school, my free time would always be filled with animated conversations with fellow Potterhead classmates of mine - most of them, boys (no wonder I've always been closer to boys than girls - Harry probably cast a spell on me!) And since I was fresh from England at the time, I couldn't help myself but tell them about the countless telephone booths I've seen, the places I've been to, the schools in Oxford that looked a lot like Hogwarts, and of course, the Bloomsbury version of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban that I got. I also never left my house without bringing my UK Nickelodeon magazine that featured the trio.

And then in high school, my Harry Potter fandom just got worse. I met Alyssa, then Francis, then Gabbs, then Mira...and so on and so forth... who were all crazy fans of the series as well. We'd bring a Harry Potter book or two in our bags, even though our textbooks were heavy enough to break our bones. We'd swoon over Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, and Tom Felton - big teen magazine icons those days. And we'd really boil in envy when we see or hear Cho Chang.

Freshman year and senior year
Even my  costume in Halloween school parties would always be the same - Harry Potter. In my freshman year though, I DIY-ed my costume. I crocheted a scarf, created a badge, fashioned a wand, and had a coat made. In my senior year, my costume was eBay-ed. Haha! And it arrived a few minutes before the Halloween Fashion Show! I also started my Harry Potter collection in high school.

Harry Potter isn't just a fictitious character portrayed by the hot Daniel Radcliffe. For me (and for everybody else I guess), he is an inspiration. He has changed the way people saw magic. The the way love was exploited through out the series is simply impeccable. And he proved that at the end, the good will always prevail.

Harry and I have come a long, long way. Through the ups and the downs of my life, Harry's always been there for me. He makes smile when I'm sad, he makes me laugh when I need some happiness, he helps me make new friends when I feel alone, he fills my time when I'm bored, he connected me with people who turned out to be the best I've ever met yet, but over all of that, he made me believe that magic does come true every single day.


Andz

No comments:

Post a Comment