Pages

Sunday 30 December 2012

Writing Haikus


I have not just been painting a lot lately, but I also have been writing a lot of haikus. 

Look, I've always had this fondness of writing haikus. I find it really fun counting the syllables, making sure everything I write has the 5-7-5 measure, and it's also very challenging! You can throw all the words you like in most poems (particularly in free verses) and short stories to convey whatever it is that you wish, but in haikus, you only have to choose the best. Not necessarily the shortest, but the best words to be straight to the point and make people understand what you mean in just three lines. 

And the best thing about haikus is that its theme is always about nature. A lot of people write haikus about the trees, the flowers, the animals, and the sky, but if you'll think about it, everything actually is a part of nature, ergo, you can write a haiku about anything in this world!

Here are a few haikus I wrote:

Mirror
I see a monster
Hidden in thick dark makeup
They see a goddess

Clock
Our time here is short
Close to death, one starts to live
A second… well spent

Lipstick
With her little hands
Young girl takes her mum’s lipstick
Paints her virgin lips

Couch
We did it right here
In high school, ten years ago
Bringing you to life

Tomorrow
I’ll do my homework
Maybe tomorrow… Or not
But I’ll get it done

Corsage
Prom night, pretty girl
A corsage fixed ‘round her wrist
Her date out of sight

Pink
It says positive
But the world’s not over yet
Pink lines won’t shake me

Keys
Unlocked, it opens
An old door that was once closed
New soul, better life


Andz

No comments:

Post a Comment