Pages

Saturday 1 December 2012

Must Read: Ana's Story: A Journey of Hope


As today is World AIDS Day, I would like to share this inspiring and heart-warming book I've read a few years back - Ana's Story: A Journey of Hope by Jenna Bush.

Ana's Story is a biography of a young girl born with HIV, whom the author met during her work with UNICEF. The book allows the reader to take a peek inside the life of Ana, who, like many children around the world, is excluded from basic care, support, and education. 

I was in my sophomore year in high school when I read Ana's Story, and it was the time when I found out how passionate I am about global issues. I was very much into environmental problems at the time, but when I read Ana's Story, I realised that it's not only the environment that's suffering so much, but the people as well. 

Through Ana's life, my eyes were opened on the painful realities of the society, including child sexual abuse,  lack of health care in a lot of countries, and how everyone is vulnerable to HIV. That just made me realise how lucky I am to be healthy and well with my family.

After closing the book, I took a trip to the UN office with my pa to read more about HIV/AIDS and how it's affecting children all over the globe, and most of the time, my head was filled with the question: "How can I help?"

I have to be honest and say that I've never done anything drastic to help (yet), but simple conversations with people, joining discussions like those in UNICEF's Voices of The Youth, and writing pieces regarding various social issues, somehow, raised awareness among my friends and readers.

Ana's Story is not one of the books that you'll soon forget. It sticks with you. It haunts you. It makes you thank for the life you have. It makes you reflect on a lot of things you don't think about on a regular basis. And I think, Ana's Story is the book you have to read today.


Andz

No comments:

Post a Comment