Pages

Wednesday 5 September 2012

Splish-Splosh!


On the way to school this morning, I woke up on the bus realising that it was already flooded in Manila.

It had probably been raining all night long, but I never expected that the water would rise THAT fast! Coming all the way from Laguna everyday, I was simply clueless. I've never experienced getting caught in the Manila traffic with the rain pouring and the water rising. I started to panic.

I've always hated the feeling of water in my shoes, never mind flood water. But since I had to come to class on time (I was late for first period yesterday!), I had to brave the rain and the flood altogether. It's at times like that when my OCD gets tested.

I successfully alighted the bus without getting my feet wet, but when it was time for me to ride the FX (OK, just in case you don't know, an FX is a public utility vehicle in the Philippines. It has a fixed destination, and usually carries 10 people.), all the cars and buses driving by generated this tsunami-like wave splashing my feet with filthy flood water.

Splish-splosh!

God, it was disgusting! Just the thought of animal urine, human spit, solid matter, and what not in that flood - now in my shoes - could've knocked me unconscious.

I arrived in school a few minutes before 7 - just enough to disinfect and bathe my feet in antiseptic.

I just couldn't imagine what the Filipinos affected by the previous storms have been through. It really IS time for all of us to change our ways, and change our country - better yet, the world. A simple act of throwing a candy wrapper in the waste bin is already a BIG thing!

Remember, never delay doing something that could initiate positive change!


Andz

No comments:

Post a Comment