Pages

Monday 3 September 2012

Book Review: Bumped


I've never been into dystopian novels. In fact, I've never read anything within the category of dystopias, which is why I'm asking myself: What drew me into Bumped by Megan McCafferty? 

Perhaps, it's because teenage pregnancy is involved. (I dunno why, but I've always been interested in novels that told stories about pregnant teenage girls. And somehow, I wish I could write something similar someday.) Or, maybe because I've never read anything about a virus that triggers the fertility of humankind. Or, simply because I want to read something new. Whatever it is, I don't know.

Bumped is set in the future when a virus sweeps the world, leaving everyone over the age of eighteen infertile, while making healthy, smart, and beautiful teenage girls the target of the market to provide children for desperate couples, and to perpetuate human life at the same time. 

Teenage girls who are willing to be bumped will sign a conception contract with a couple, and will be matched with a bumping partner to conceive a child in exchange of cash, cars, college tuition, and what not.

Melody Mayflower is one of the luckiest girls who scored a great deal with a rich couple, and she's also been paired with the hottest bumping partner in the world - Jondoe. But the unexpected arrival of her twin sister, Harmony, who's been separated from her since birth, twisted the carefully laid plans for Melody.

Is Bumped witty? Yes. Is it original? Very. Is it awesome? That I couldn't answer. 

I love how creative McCafferty was in painting this colourful yet terrifying world that you don't get to read a lot in books these days. The innovative terms she used in the story are also well-thought-out. However, Bumped isn't the kind of book you'll find fascinating after reading it - or at least, that's how I found it. There's nothing engaging to it. It's light and it's shallow. But over all that, I can assure you that Bumped will be worth your while.

Sequel: Thumped (After reading Bumped, I'm not sure if I'm getting this one.)


Andz

2 comments:

  1. It's absolutely intriguing yet disturbing. Though I'll probably read just for curiosity sake :).

    By the way Andy, already added a follow button for blogger in my stay connected section.

    ReplyDelete