Pages

Thursday 20 September 2012

Book Review: Palo Alto


It's been more than a year since I read an excerpt of Academy Award-nominee James Franco's debut novel Palo Alto in an issue of Entertainment Weekly. I loved the teaser and longed to have the book, but it's only a week ago when I got my hands on my own copy of Palo Alto.

Inspired by James Franco's own teenage experiences in his home town, Palo Alto is a raw, gripping, and thought-provoking collection of short stories which paints a graphic imagery of several troubled teenagers in Palo Alto, California, who live in drugs, alcohol, and violence.

The short stories are perfectly written, and the characters are next to realistic. The setting of every story is also well-described. Having said that, Franco evidently placed a great deal in the details he wanted in the story, which will surely evoke the reader's emotions and imagination. 

Overall, Palo Alto is a great read. In fact, it's the kind of book I'd like to write someday. However, this is definitely not for your read-and-relax moments. Four stars!


Andz

No comments:

Post a Comment