Pages

Saturday 22 September 2012

Free Verse: A Happy Song... A Cheerful Melody


*Note: Since it's raining, I'd like to share this free verse I wrote during a rainy night sometime ago. It's not really a masterpiece, but I don't write poetry that much, so this is something.


A Happy Song... A Cheerful Melody


The raindrops tap on our tin roof
Just the perfect percussion
To the strumming of my pa's old guitar
A happy song he sings
A cheerful melody I hum
Together we forget
The nothing we have
And count the little we own

Ma passes by and smiles at us
Her face tired but hopeful
A piece of damp rug in her hand
An empty bucket in the other

We smile back
And she sits in between us

The cold wind blows
Ma wraps her arms around me
As pa continues to sing the happy song
And I hum the cheerful melody
Forgetting the nothing we have
And counting the little we own
Here in this shanty
While the raindrops tap on our roof.


Andz

No comments:

Post a Comment