Pages

Monday 24 October 2011

Recipe: Citrus Stars Topped With Meringue


I've always been fascinated about baking - experimenting with ingredients, mashing up recipes from books to come up with something new. 

This afternoon, as I was laying on my bed trying to feel sleepy for a noon time nap, it came to me: I want to bake! So, I hopped off my bed, and turned the kitchen upside down.


Citrus Stars Topped With Meringue

Citrus Stars

1 3/4  Cups Flour
3/4  Cup Butter or Margarine, softened
1/2  Powdered Sugar
1  Teaspoon Citrus Zest of your choice (I used Lemon and Orange)
1/2  Teaspoon Vanilla
1/4  Teaspoon Baking Powder
1  Egg

Meringue
2  Egg Whites
1/3  Cup Caster Sugar, extra

*********************************************************************************************************

1. In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients for the Citrus Stars with an electric mixer on medium speed, until well mixed.

2. Place the dough in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm.

3. Beat the 2 egg whites with an electric mixer in a bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar, beating well after each addition until stiff and glossy  peaks form.

4. Heat oven to 375°F, flatten the dough, and cut into star shapes using a star cookie cutter.

5. Bake for 8-12 minutes, and before the biscuits turn brown, scoop a fair amount of the meringue mixture enough to set on the star. The meringue will expand as it bakes.

6. When the meringue and the biscuits start to brown, remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely for about 30 minutes.

7. Serve. 
You can drizzle the biscuits with chocolate syrup or other toppings of your choice for more flavour.



Notes:
*I adapted this recipe from Gold Medal and Betty Crocker's Orange-Pecan Wafers.
*The recipe seems quite easy if you'll just run through the ingredients and instructions, however, this recipe is really tricky. I had to go through 3 baking tests to get the perfect texture and flavour. 
*Bake a few first then taste, so if there's something off, you can work things out right away.
*If your biscuits come out stale, don't worry! Just add a few more teaspoons of citrus zest to the dough and knead well.


Andz

2 comments:

  1. It looks yummy Andy! I hope we could see each other and bake again! I miss you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's yummy! We'll make this when we meet :)

    ReplyDelete