Pages

Thursday 2 August 2012

Music Thursday: Favourite Song Covers



It's music Thursday again, and I'll be telling you about some of my favourite song covers. They're really good stuff I listen to when I need some good vibes. I hope they brighten your spirits as well during this rainy season :)

Fast Car
Original Artist: Tracy Chapman
Cover: Boyce Avenue and Kina Grannis
I've always loved Tracy Chapman's Fast Car, so when I was scrolling through the videos of one of my fave bands, Boyce Avenue (yes, I'm a fan!), in their channel and found out that they have a cover of Fast Car, I gave it a go. God, I loved it! Plus, Kina's voice made everything better!



Fields of Gold
Original Artist: Sting
Cover: Eva Cassidy
The first time I heard this was when I was in Brighton. It was an early morning, and papa popped his Eva Cassidy CD into the player, and just played Fields of Gold. My ma and I were easily drawn to Eva's unique tone and her poignant singing of the Sting song. What made us love her even more is her back story, which papa told. She's a very wonderful and inspiring person who loves music very much, saying "I have the easiest job in the world. All I have to do is sing and play the guitar." when she was asked if her hip injury would force her to stop pursuing her passion. Her rendition of Fields of Gold never failed to paint a picture of our old Brighton flat and the waves of the English Channel in my head.



Use Somebody
Original Artist: Kings of Leon
Cover: 2 Cellos
Though the lyrics of the song are beautiful, I would say that the melody itself is an ear candy. 2 Cellos brought a classical feel to this alternative rock anthem by Kings of Leon. Beautiful!



Somebody That I Used To Know
Original Artist: Gotye
Cover: Walk on Earth
I was doing a little research about Gotye's hit Somebody That I Used To Know when I found out about a cover made by Walk on Earth. Curious, I checked out their rendition on YouTube, and what I saw amazed me! See for yourself:



Andz

3 comments:

  1. You should check Liz Gillies cover of Fast Car :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anyone covering Tracy Chapman won't have a hard time, she's a very good song writer. May I suggest The Postal Service's cover of Against all Odds (original by Phil Collins). If you haven't heard of The Postal Service, it's the best time to start listening to them! Cheers.

    ReplyDelete