Pages

Sunday 6 July 2014

Ice Tray Treats: Chewy Mango-Graham Surprise


Summer has just ended, but I sure am up for summery treats all year long! 

A few weeks ago, I decided to do my own take on the all-time favourite Pinoy dessert – the mango float or the no-bake mango-graham refrigerated cake.

The idea actually came to me just as I was about to sleep, and I’m so glad it got stuck in my head enough to remind myself the next morning that I had a brilliant mango-graham epiphany the night before. I then hit the market and supermarket with my grandmum to buy the ingredients I needed.

I’m pretty sure nobody’s ever tried to do the same exact thing I did with my Chewy Mango-Graham Surprise before, so I’ll call this recipe mine. Please, let me know otherwise. Haha! 

I'll be sharing with you the recipe in this post. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to take photos of every step. I was kneading dough and mixing stuff! How in the world will I be able to take photos?! Also, my grandmum was busy cooking lunch at the time, and couldn't be bothered. 

I was able to snap some photos of the dough-making part, though, which is the most complicated bit of this recipe. And, as usual, I did not measure the amount of the ingredients I used. I think if you’re going to give this recipe a shot, everything will depend on how you’d like it to taste – sweeter, tangier, etc.

If you'll try this recipe, please, tell me how yours turned out! I'd love to hear from you! :)


 

CHEWY MANGO-GRAHAM SURPRISE

Ripe mangoes
Crushed graham crackers
Condensed milk
All-purpose cream

***

THE FILLING

1.       Scrape off the flesh of the mangoes, and then mash.

2. Pour in the condensed milk and all-purpose cream.
*If you want the filling to be sweeter, add more condensed milk. If not, then just put in equal parts of milk and cream.

3. Mix well.


THE DOUGH

1. In a bowl, mix the crushed graham crackers with condensed milk to make the dough.
*I used an electric mixer for this one, and kneaded the dough with my hands later.
**If the consistency is too runny, add more crushed graham crackers. If it’s too dry, add a bit more condensed milk. The dough shouldn’t be too sticky or too dry.


2. Roll a tiny piece of dough in between your palms, and then flatten it.

3. Dredge both sides of the flattened piece of dough with crushed graham crackers.
*The dough has to be “dry” so it won’t stick on the ice tray.

4. Sprinkle some crushed graham crackers in the ice trays, just to make sure that the dough wouldn’t get stuck on the base later.


5. Lay the dough on top of an ice tray hole, and slowly push down with your fingers.
*Make sure you fill all the spaces of your ice tray. This wouldn’t be a problem if you’re using a typical cube ice tray. I used my favourite flower ice tray from IKEA, so it was a bit more tricky.



FILLING AND FREEZING

1.       Spoon the mango mixture into each dough-covered hole in the ice tray.

2.       Dump a thick layer of crushed graham crackers on top of the tray, covering the mango mixture.

3.       Leave the ice tray in the freezer overnight.

They kinda resemble ice cream-filled mochis! :D

Enjoy! J


Andz

No comments:

Post a Comment