Pages

Sunday 13 July 2014

3 Thoughts I Had As I Read "Wonder"


Auggie can't look THAT bad, can he?
"Wonder" by R.J. Palacio is basically about this 10-year-old boy named August or "Auggie", who's attending real school for the first time. He's always been home-schooled, because of the countless surgeries he had to undergo, the therapies he had to attend, and his "looks in general. Born with a facial deformity, he struggles to keep up with the cruel world he lives in.


Oh, gosh, kids can be so mean.
I know how judgmental people can be, especially when it comes to how somebody looks. I've been called names for my "skeletal" appearance, teased relentlessly in grade school and high school - even in college! I also have good friends, who were shamed every single day just because they're not the most beautiful people on earth. Such painful reality is perfectly depicted in "Wonder". Palacio crafted an awfully realistic world with awfully realistic characters, making this coming-of-age novel even more relatable. I don't think I've ever read a children's novel that made innocence and cruelty work so well together until I picked up "Wonder". It's the kind of book that makes you ask yourself whether you've been a good person or not, and I gotta say, books like that is a true gem and a rare find.


This is one little humble blue book that restores faith in humanity.
It just does, and I couldn't have said it better. I'm telling you, do yourself a favour and read "Wonder.

~ ~ ~

"WHEN GIVEN THE CHOICE BETWEEN BEING
RIGHT OR BEING KIND, CHOOSE KIND."

-R.J. Palacio



Andz

No comments:

Post a Comment