Pages

Saturday 19 July 2014

8 Reasons Why You Should Apply for the Candy Council of Cool Batch 15



THAT time of the year has come once again! Candy Magazine is looking for fun, smart, creative, talented, and in-the-know girls to make up the Council of Cool 15. If you know you've got what it takes to part of the COC, then jump to this page ASAP (!) for the application details. 

If you're a bit hesitant, or too shy, or just nervous to take on the challenge of being a COC member, perhaps, a little push will help you. :)

Here are eight reasons why you should pass that application entry you know you've been preparing for:


1. New friends!
OK, this may seem like an obvious reason, but I think making new friends is one of the best parts of being in the Council. I just love fangirling, hanging out, and learning new things with my co-COC girls!

Our first photo shoot as the Council of Cool Batch 14. I can't believe this picture was taken
almost a year ago!

2. Spending time with the Candy Team at the Candy HQ
If you're picturing a The Devil Wears Prada-ish Candy editorial staff, you've got it all wrong. The Candy editors are really nice, patient, and kind, which is why we're ever so excited to see them for story-cons! We always look forward to giving them our ideas for upcoming issues, because they see to it that every girl gets the chance to write about a topic she likes. 

3. Access to fun events
Not to make you jealous or anything, but I wouldn't lie: The events we attend are nothing short of smashing! The Candy editors are really kind to send us to events they know we'll enjoy and like to write about for CandyMag.com's blog or for the magazine itself.

The first event I attended was the opening of the shop Urbanize. My co-COC member, Sam Yap,
and I had no idea what to do at events back then. Haha!

4. A front-row seat preview of the magazine industry
If you've always wanted to write for a magazine - a teen magazine, in this case - being in the COC allows you to sneak a peek into your dream industry. Don't miss this opportunity. Give it a shot. I'm telling you. You won't regret it.

5. Meeting celebrities and various personalities
Either you bump into them at an event or sit down with them for an interview, you will surely get to meet celebrities and different personalities during your Candy stint. Keep your composure, though! You don't want your favourite actors or authors to think Candy's got deranged fangirls (OK, maybe, just a bit!) for writers. Haha!

One of my most memorable moments in the COC is interviewing Ms. Gayle Forman. Such an
amazing woman!

6. A chance to hone your skills and share your talent or passion
Although we get the chance to grow as writers in the Council, we don't just write. Some of the COC members model for the magazine, assist in shoots, and some others do production-related jobs. I, myself, contribute DIY projects for Candy, and I'm glad that I get such assignments, because I simply love working on projects that I hope readers will enjoy making just as much as I did. Also, crafting is one of my obsessions, so getting to do that for Candy is a bonus!

Check out the accessories I made out of old school supplies in last month's issue!

7. Getting to write for your favourite magazine 
Indeed, it is thrilling to get to write for your favourite magazine, see your work published on its pages, and know that, somehow, your articles will be read and passed on from one reader to another.

8. A chance to...
At this point, I'm guessing that the seven reasons I've mentioned above have already motivated you to get on with the application in the soonest. But before you work on the requirements Candy is asking for, do you know what's more important than the things I've already said? It's getting the chance to inspire young girls, and letting them know and feel that they are not alone, that they are beautiful, and that they can make a difference in their own lives and for others' as well. THAT I daresay is what makes writing for Candy so fulfilling.

Grab this month's ish at a newsstand near you now!

We, the COC 14, are a bit sad that our stint is ending really soon, but if AWESOME Candy Girls like YOU will take our place, we'd be more than honoured to pass the joy and privilege of being part of the number 1 teen magazine in the country to you!


Good luck!


Andz

2 comments:

  1. Nice post. :) I do plan on applying to be part of the candy council of cool! This helped me think about it more. Thank you!
    Hope you can drop by my blog. hihi

    Sammie
    sammiethestargirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool blog you've got there! I'm glad this post was able to help you think about the application better. Good luck!

      Delete