Pages

Saturday 26 April 2014

Life Lately

At this point, I wouldn't consider myself jobless. I'm just OJT-less, which is pretty sad, because I've been looking forward to my internship period since way back when. However, the fault is partly mine, because I've been trying my best to stay away from police and government beats.

As much as I hate to admit it, I'm just not good in writing about the government. I might even get myself into trouble, when I volunteer for a government beat (oh, God.). Perhaps, it's because I'm just not interested. Well, I've never been interested in government affairs. 

Call me shallow. Call me stupid. Call me indifferent and ignorant. But my brain just repels the idea of writing news about the government. It's not my dream.

Then, there are the police beats... I actually find writing about crime fun and interesting. I like the idea of collecting blotters at the police station, interviewing police officers, and scanning through photos of crime scenes and criminals, because doing such makes me feel like one of those crime writers in mystery novels. What's stopping me, though, is fear. Fear of getting sent to real crime scenes or places where there had been an accident. Fear of the dead. Fear of blood.

So now, I'm looking for a media company where I could hone my feature writing skills best; somewhere I could write about lifestyle and/or entertainment, and, maybe, if I would be given the chance, some development articles, too, because I also like writing about poverty, children's rights, and the environment. 

If you think I'm being too picky because I want my writing career to be a glamorous one, you're wrong.

It's always been clear to me that journalism isn't about the glamour. I know that. And truth be told, I'm not after the glamour at all. In fact, I don't enjoy attending parties. I hate having to dress up. The free stuff I get at events like cosmetics, bags, and gift certificates? I give them away to family and friends. I don't need any of those.

You see, just like everybody else, I have my own interests, and I recognise my strengths very well. I like writing about crafting, travel, food, art, music,  movies, and books, and I know I'm really good in writing those kinds of articles, so that's what I'm going to do.

In the meantime, while I'm still not a trainee at any media companies, I'm trying to enjoy my break by busying myself with Candy assignments, reading books, shopping with my mum, and hanging out with my cousin after his theatre workshop. 

I'd love to go on an out-of-town or out-of-the-country trip this summer, but 1) I don't have the money, 2) My parents surely wouldn't allow me to go alone right now and they can't accompany me either (cos they ain't got the time), and 3) I NEED TO UNDERGO AN INTERNSHIP!!!

Here are some snaps from this week:

On Easter Monday, my cousin and I decided to eat at Project Pie after his
theatre workshop, and had this meat-heavy pizza for dinner. Lent never
fails to make me miss meat! :D

My fellow COC members celebrating Mika's birthday at the Summit Media
office :)

I was so lucky to be asked to cover the last day of CLEAR and Manchester
United's football camp for Candy :)




Andz

No comments:

Post a Comment