Pages

Wednesday 2 April 2014

A Wonderful Afternoon with the Wonderful Becca Fitzpatrick


New York Times best-selling author Becca Fitzpatrick (Hush, Hush Saga) recently stopped over the country for her Philippine book tour, and I am more than thrilled to say that I was able to spend some time with her at The Writers Bar for an interview (thanks again to Candy Mag for this opportunity!) last March 27 to chat about the success of her book series, upcoming projects, and her excitement to finally meet her Filipino fans.

It would always be a pleasure of mine to meet amazing writers, because they don't just inspire me to do better with my craft, but they also make me realise that they're just like everybody else, beyond the fame and recognition they're getting from all over the world.

In fact, Becca had the perfect greeting for me, when we met. She kinda apologised for how bushy her hair had become, because of the heat and humidity in Manila. Haha! Our conversation just flowed after that.

Of course, we talked about the Hush, Hush Saga, Patch (c'mon, I can't miss this chance!), her current playlist (we sang a bit of Frozen's "Let It Go" at some point), and the different Pinoy specialties her aunt, who's Filipina (Becca even showed me her picture in her iPhone), recommended her to try while she's on the trip.

She wanted to try halo-halo so bad (perfect for the summer!) that I just had to tell her about Razon's. I really do wish she tried it, cos it's got one of - if not - the best halo-halo in the country. And, since her aunt told her to try mangosteens, she was served a platter of 'em towards the end of our interview.

I was pretty worried that she wouldn't like the taste of mangosteens (not a lot of Filipinos even like it!), but she did, and kept eating the fruit, saying that it tastes like nothing she's ever had before.

Just before I left, I gave her tiny presents - a notepad and a box of facts about the Philippines, which she said her little boys will love looking at, when she comes home. And, she signed a handful of books I took with me.

It was quite an afternoon.


Oh, gosh, she's a lovely woman...



That's my cousin, Zeus, and my friend, Kai, who's a big fan of the
Hush, Hush Saga


When I checked Twitter on my way home, I was so thrilled
to see that Becca actually mentioned me!


Andz

No comments:

Post a Comment