Pages

Thursday 1 May 2014

Book Review: Attachments


I was pretty disappointed when Eleanor & Park didn't blow me away as much as I expected it to (not that I'm saying it's bad, because it wasn't. It was actually nice, but not as nice as I thought it would be). However, I believe in Rainbow Rowell as a writer, so I gave her another shot and picked up Attachments.

I loved it!

So, Attachments is about Lincoln O'Neill, an intelligent 28-year-old, who couldn't quite figure out what to do with his life, and ends up in the IT department of a newspaper company as an"Internet security officer". But instead of building firewalls and crushing hackers, he's left to read other people's email in the dead of the night, and report those who have been sending messages containing flagged words.

Lincoln hated his job until the exchanges between friends Beth Fremont and Jennifer Scribner-Snyder added some spice to his work. He knew he had to turn them in for using their work email to talk about their personal lives, but he can't help being entertained by their stories, and soon enough, he falls for Beth...

Although the book started slow, it easily picked up on momentum, and the laughs never stopped coming since then. Yep, this book is effortlessly funny! And, even if the twists were a bit predictable, they didn't annoy me when I found out that my assumptions were true.

This would make me sound a bit biased, but Attachments probably won me over, because it shows so much about the life of journalists in the newsroom even for a book that's supposed to be about romance (romance and journalism - who knew, right?!). 

I could highly relate to the characters Beth and Jennifer, who are pretty much me or who I want to be, minus their life dramas. Beth is a review writer, while Jennifer is a features copy editor. Sure, I'm not quite in their level yet, but I could  feel them already. 

And, there's Lincoln... He's perfectly imperfect, and holy shit, I could use someone like him in my life! One who could be My Cute Guy


Andz

No comments:

Post a Comment