Pages

Thursday 30 May 2013

Life Lately...


Things have been ticking along quite nicely for me lately...

-My jet lag has passed.

-I get to eat rice for every meal again.

-I'm getting used to the Philippine heat again (somehow).

-School's starting soon.

-I've got deadlines to beat again.

-I've got a considerably fair schedule for the first semester of my third year in college.

-I got in touch with my paint set again.

-I'm finally reunited with my guitar.

-My nails are painted again.

-My molar bands have been removed, and soon enough, my braces will be too.

***

This list can go on forever, but with what you've just read, I wish that you're pretty convinced that yes, I'm doing fine after the surreal experience I had almost a month ago.

I wouldn't lie to you, though. I miss everything about Czech Republic, most especially, Brno.

There's not a day that goes by that I don't scan through the photos and some videos taken when I was still there, trying to feel, hear, see, smell, and taste what I've felt, heard, seen, smelled, and tasted even if it's just in my mind.

That's how I want them to be. Fresh. As though they happened yesterday.

Just two days after I arrived back in the Philippines, I met with Jill - a schoolmate of mine, who was also an intern of SPEAK! Project Brno last spring. It was my first time to meet her; however, I felt like I knew her even before, and that's because of Brno.

It's really nice getting to talk to someone who knows what you've been through and who misses what you also miss.

When I asked her if she's still in touch with her friends in Czech and with her co-interns, she said that she still is. Usually, she would get a message a week after she sent one to them, but she's happy that the connection between them is still there. Her closest friend from Russia also visited her recently, and she's planning a trip to Thailand with her fellow Filipino co-interns to visit their Thai friends.

Sometimes, I wonder if I would be able to keep up with the friends I made like how Jill did, because honestly, my biggest fear is losing touch with the people I learned to love.

I know five weeks (or maybe even less) is not enough to establish a solid relationship with people, but it's enough to start a life-long connection. How to make it life-long is quite a challenge, though. There's the distance, the time difference, the lack of personal contact, and whatnot.

Conversation classes have been resolved into Facebook and Skype chats, which have become a part of my routine now.

I've never adjusted the time in my watch to save me from doing the maths in telling the time in Czech Republic, and it's pretty convenient, I must say. I would check it every now and then, and go online at around 14:00 here, when most of them are just waking up.

I don't get to talk to a lot of people, though, which is sad. The most recent chats I had are with Daniela, Martina, Ondřej, Péťa, and Martin.

It's always nice getting to hear from them. They would tell me stuff about their academics, the weather, and funnily enough, I was a part of one's dream too. Haha!

I have also started getting their post addresses, as I'd like to send them something "actual". If you know me enough, you know that I love sending and receiving snail mail, and I've just sent the first bunch of post cards last Monday. I wish they reach their respective destinations on time. I find the Philippine Postal Service OK, as far as OK goes.


Andz

No comments:

Post a Comment