Pages

Wednesday 1 May 2013

Out and About - Day 41 - Cooking Session!

May 1, 2013 - Labour Day
Martina's Flat

I really love the Slovak dish Halušky, and it's in my list of the best dishes I've tasted during my trips this summer. And as though ordering it at restaurants isn't enough, I asked my AIESEC buddy, Martina, to teach me how to make it, as she's Slovak, and I gotta learn it from the "original". haha! So, I met up with her this morning at Jugoslavska to cook some Halušky at her flat.

We didn't follow any measurements or whatsoever when we made it, so I'll just post what I learned here :)



Bryndzové Halušky

-Potatoes
-Wheat Flour
-Sour Cream
-Sheep Cheese (a special cheese from Slovakia)
-Salt
-Sunflower Oil
-Bacon

**********

Bryndzové

-Combine the sheep cheese and sour cream together, and mix well.

-Cut the bacon into tiny bits and fry. Keep the oil from the bacon, as it will be used later.

-Set aside.

Halušky

-Bring a pot of salted water with sunflower oil to a boil.

-Shred peeled potatoes with the use of a fine grater.

-Dump the shredded potatoes and wheat flour in a bowl. Add some salt, and mix with a wooden spoon.

-Continue dumping flour into the bowl until the consistency of the mixture is thick and tough, but not too dry.

-Using a Halušky sieve - which appears in the image below - make tiny potato dumplings by pushing the dough through the holes with the use of a spoon over the boiling saltwater. 

-It only takes a few minutes for the dumplings to float, meaning they're ready.

-Drain the excess water from the Halušky, and set aside in a plate/bowl.

-To avoid the Halušky from clumping together, pour the oil from the fried bacon into the plate/bowl of Halušky and gently toss.

Serving

-Place your desired amount of Bryndzové on the Halušky and mix.

- Top with more cheese and bacon!

-Dobrú chuť!

:)

Meet my Halušky masterji, Martina!
Making Halušky can be pretty tiring, especially in the arms!
It's a good exercise, I must say!








Andz

No comments:

Post a Comment