Pages

Wednesday 5 June 2013

Dobrou Chut': Smažený Sýr - Step-by-Step Recipe

Smažený Sýr or fried cheese is my favourite Czech food, I must say. And as it's been a while since I last had it, I decided to make some at home. 

It's pretty easy to make, so it wasn't much of a kitchen disaster unlike the Halušky I attempted making with locally-available ingredients (we don't have Slovakia's most-prized sheep cheese or bryndza in the Philippines). Martina said she's still proud of me for making it, though, so yay me!

Going back to Smažený Sýr... My family enjoyed it! My cousin loved it. My mum said she'll teach it to her students come their cooking sessions. And, my grandmum liked it as well. 

It was a success! I just replicated my favourite Czech food in the Philippines! And, I couldn't be happier. I can still improve it, but my first go's pretty impressive, considering that I've never fried anything in my life before, except bacon and Oreos. Yup, this girl's learning how to cook (er, fry)!

Now, let me show you how to make Smažený Sýr...

Smažený Sýr
(Fried Cheese)

-Edam, Gouda, or better yet, Hermelín
-Egg
-All-purpose Flour
-Bread Crumbs

**********

1. Slice the cheese. About 1/3 of an inch is the desirable thickness.

2. Lightly beat the egg.

3. Dredge the sliced cheese in flour

4. Make sure it's completely coated.

5. Then dip it into the beaten egg.

6. Coat it completely.

7. Finally, coat the cheese with bread crumbs. You can pat crumbs 
in areas that are not covered.

8. Fry the cheese slices in a pan. Once one side turns golden brown,
flip the cheese slice on another side.

9. Serve while hot.

Dobrou Chut'!


*Tips:
-Smažený Sýr is best paired with chips or potato croquettes.
-Tartar Sauce or "Tatarská Omáčka" is the perfect dip, although I love Smažený Sýr with barbecue sauce.


Andz

7 comments:

  1. Czech chefs called it "gastronomic disaster" but everyone like it :).
    You made me hungry with this post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you make me hungry too with those food pics you send me. And, I'm sure, you're a better cook than I am :D

      Delete
    2. Talaga! You're an expert at cooking, and I'm just starting! And, the dishes you cook look more delicious than mine :D

      Delete
    3. Haha, I'm not expert, and some my dishes looks terrible :D

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Yes, and let me taste it! Bring some to school! :D

      Delete