Pages

Monday 23 December 2013

Mint-Dusted Crispy Churros with Tsokolate

One of my fondest childhood afternoon merienda memories is seeing my lolo and mommy (grandma) making tsokolate from tableas

Armed with a tin kettle and a batirol or molinillo (a traditional wooden beater that resembles a honey dipper), they would dissolve those glorious tableas into something magical. Our tiny cups would then be filled with steaming hot cocoa, with which we'd dunk our pandesals into.

It's been a long while since I last had a hearty cup or two of tsokolate, which is why when I saw packs and packs of tableas lying on the dining table one morning, I knew exactly what I had to do with them. I had to make tsokolate. I just had to.

And, I did.

Tableas and the batirol

It was about time I try making tsokolate on my own, and I had a great time making it. It was as though an old family tradition was being passed on to me. OK, saying that may sound a bit weird, but that's how I exactly felt! I even hunted down a new batirol (our old one's just too ... old ... and unused for so long) to use.

Now, what's tsokolate without something to dip into it? 

Like what I've said, we dipped pandesal into hot cocoa, but as I had been craving for churros (another merienda favourite of mine), I tried making some to dunk into the tsokolate.

Just some of my Christmas addictions :D

I was feeling extra-experimental that day, so I decided to put a twist into the churros I was about to make. Instead of dusting sugar over them, I crushed some Christmas mints into sprinkles. I also used a decorating tip with a thin opening to make the churros crispier.

The outcome was a chocolatey-minty snack that my family loved, and I couldn't be prouder :) There's no better feeling than satisfying the people you love through the food you make.

And because I love you, my dear readers, I'd like to share this somewhat-original recipe with y'all :) Hey, it's a perfect snack to make this season!























Mint-Dusted Crispy Churros with Tsokolate

For the Churros
1 cup water
A stick of butter
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup flour
3 eggs
2 1/2 cups vegetable oil
Christmas mints (depends on how much you want)

For the Tsokolate
5 tableas
1 1/2 - 2 cups fresh milk

*********************************************************************
Churros 

1. Combine 1 cup of water, a stick of butter, 2 tablespoons of sugar, and a quarter teaspoon of salt in a saucepan and bring into a boil in medium to high heat, stirring the mixture every now and then.

2. Sift a cup of flour into the saucepan and mix the batter for a minute before taking it out of the heat.

3. Transfer the batter in a mixing bowl and use an electric mixer to get rid of the chunks of flour and achieve a sticky-smooth consistency.

4. Add the eggs into the mixture one at a time, while continuously mixing the batter.

5. Fix a flat-ended decorating tip into the pastry bag. But if you wish to make traditionally-shaped churros, use a wide open star tip.

6. Spoon the batter into the pastry bag, but be sure to leave some space at the top to tie the bag sealed.

7. Heat 2 1/2 cups of vegetable oil in a deep fryer over high heat.

8. Squeeze the pastry bag above the deep fryer, and cut the dough depending on your desired length.

9. Fry the dough until golden brown.

10. Line a plate with paper towel, and drain the excess oil off the churros with it.

11. Crush the Christmas mints and sprinkle the bits over the churros.


Tsokolate

1. Pour 1/12 -2 cups of fresh milk into a saucepan.

2. Drop 5 tableas into the saucepan, and bring to a boil.

3. Let the tableas dissolve and once the tsokolate boils, create a frothy consistency with the a batirol by rubbing it vigourously in between your palms.

*If you like your tsokolate sweeter, you could either add teaspoons of sugar or pour in some condensed milk.


-Enjoy!-



Andz

No comments:

Post a Comment