Pages

Monday 28 October 2013

Halloween Comicfest 2013

I had a great Saturday. 

The original plan was to simply grab a free comic book from the Halloween Comicfest being held at a nearby bookshop in the morning, but my cousin and I decided to make the best of our sem-break weekend, before my classes start again next week.

I got a copy (well, an excerpt) of the graphic novel Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, written by Ransom Riggs and illustrated by Cassandra Jean. 

The novel intrigued me for so long, but I don't know why I haven't got myself one yet. So, finding out that the comic book version of it will be given out on Free Comic Book Day, I took the chance to finally start reading the story, and I liked it. Perhaps, I could continue it after reading Neil Gaiman's The Ocean at the End of the Lane or after reading Jeffrey Eugenides' The Virgin Suicides (which I've been dying to read - no pun intended).

After getting our free comic books (and buying some more, of course - we're occasional nerds), we decided to watch the film remake of Carrie based on the 70's Stephen King novel of the same title, starring Chloë Grace Moretz. 

Although the movie got mixed reviews, I would say that it's really good. I've read the book, watched the musical (which was recently staged in Manila), and the movie also stands out in its own way. 

We also tried some of Mochiko's latest products, like their milkshake and latte. I really wanted to taste their milkshake, but since my cough wasn't getting any better, I opted for a hot black sesame latte instead, which (for me) surprisingly tasted good, given the fact that its got tea in it and is served with mini green tea mochis - AGAIN, I hate tea (or leaf juice, as Zuko and I like to call it). 

In case you don't know what a mochi is, it's a Japanese rice cake that's been modified through the years. It's originally balls of glutinous rice, but are now served with ice cream or other fillings.

Timely enough, high school friends of mine, Felis and Angel were meeting at the same place, so I caught up with them for a while before leaving. My pasalubong for Felis from Prague was almost decomposing at home, so I'm glad I was finally able to give them to her. Too bad, I already ate the Milkas I was supposed to give her :D


Choosing titles at Comic Odyssey, Alabang Town Center's Fully Booked branch

They didn't just give free comic books but free doughnuts
as well, courtesy of Go Nuts Donuts

My cuz enjoying his spider web doughnut :D

Prices of graphic novels and comic books were slashed as well for the
Halloween Comicfest.



Mochiko's Black sesame latte with mini mochis

With Felis and Angel :)


Andz

1 comment:

  1. Andy! You have to let me borrow your Cassandra Jean's Graphic Novel!! Mehehehe ^.^ Love that person's works! ;) And I have the novel so you can borrow it if you want :)

    ReplyDelete