Pages

Saturday 15 June 2013

For Papa...

"Im a silent father but deep inside my blood and heart are shouting that I am so proud and happy of my daughter Nina! Let's keep it this way----you can start simple and small but dream BIG! I'm sure you will go a long way."
-Papa


What you’ve just read above is probably the most touching words my Pa has ever said to me. He sent it on the 22nd of April this year as an e-mail when I was still based in Brno.

It was a time of many good things in my life. I was currently under an internship with AIESEC; I got really good grades for my last semester in my second year in college; and I had just been named as The Flame’s new copy editor.

That is also the first time I felt the pride of my dad for having me as his daughter.

***

I grew up getting nothing more than a “Not bad.” or a “Galing ah.” with a high-five from papa whenever I think I got a high grade or did something I thought was great. But most of the time, I would get a “You can still improve this.” or a “Do better next time.” from him.

For most children smothered with pure and showy fatherly love (especially for daddy’s little girls out there), these comments from my Pa may seem too harsh or a bit too unappreciative. But every father has their own way to bring out the best in their children, and this is how my pa makes me strive for the best and never settle for mediocrity.

I’m pretty sure that he’s the one to blame for my tough stand towards things that I believe in, things that I want to achieve, and things that I know would be good for me.

“Hayaan mo siya,” is one of the most usual lines I hear from papa. When my mum wouldn’t let me wear a worn-out black shirt to some nice mall or to church, he would say “Hayaan mo siya.” When I want to go somewhere, and someone would tell me not to, papa would say “Hayaan mo siya.” And when I get into trouble and can’t find a way out of the situation, he would say “Hayaan mo siya.”

That’s how things go with him. He lets me live, choose my own path, make my own mistakes, and learn from them all. Don’t get me wrong, though. Papa would still always be by my side whenever I need him. And I always need him. He just wants me to learn to stand on my own feet.

Turning me into this independent young woman, who can face the many demands of the society, is probably one of his life’s greatest missions, and I’m very much confident to say that he’s done a fantastic job so far.

I’ve always looked up to Papa. He’s the kindest, funniest, most intelligent, and (of course) the most handsome man I’ve ever known in my life. Watching him succeed in every endeavour that he worked hard for just brings joy and inspiration not only to me, but to the rest of my family and the people around him as well.

I know that calling Papa “the best dad in the world” would be too cliché, as every kid must’ve said that at some point in their lives. Some would even give their fathers tokens like trophies or mugs saying so. But I wouldn’t call my dad the best in the world. I would just say that he’s the best dad I could ever have and I couldn’t thank God enough for blessing me with this amazing man.

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY, PAPA! I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!

My hairstyle's always been interesting. Haha!

My guitar-playing skills? Yep, it's from him.



THE FANGS!









Meanwhile in the kitchen, Andy and her dad have been
spotted sporting the most fashionable hats ever!





Army peeps. LOL!




Andz

1 comment:

  1. right from the heart, a very simple way of describing/appreciating the way your papa took care of you. by the way, your papa is my brother.

    ReplyDelete