Pages

Friday 18 January 2013

At the End of the Day



Funny how I've visited a number of famous landmarks and monuments overseas, but never been to some of the most important ones in my own country, like - as much as I hate to admit - Rizal Park, or Luneta, or if you're really ancient, you probably still call it Bagumbayan.

Honestly, I have no idea why I've never been to the place before. Sure, I've passed by it a few times in the past, but I've never actually set my foot on the historic grounds of the park. Ever. 

So today, for we finished our exams pretty early (8 am., to be exact), and the malls won't open until a few hours later, I asked Milky - a friend of mine whom you can call Meilkuiazjuh, if you dare - to accompany me to Rizal Park to let time pass before we head to the mall to watch Les Miserables. A stranger in her own land as well, she obliged.

We enjoyed our time in Rizal Park. The weather was lovely, with the cloudy sky and cool breeze, and there were loads of people everywhere; most of them grade school kids on field trips. As we took a stroll around, kalesas (horse carriages) passed by, bubbles blown by kids floated and popped in the air, and people from all walks of life just came and went. It was beautiful.

Of course, we looked for the exact spot, where our national hero was executed by a firing squad (it's quite hidden, and you have to pay a certain fee for admission), took loads of photos, and paid our respects to Rizal's monument.

Our Rizal Course professor would be proud.

We then headed to the mall to finally watch Les Miserables. It has been a long wait, especially to us, Filipinos, as the film didn't open in our theatres until last Wednesday, because of the annual Metro Manila Film Festival held every December.

Man, it was really good! Your whole body just tells you how amazing the film is. Goosebumps rise on your skin. Tears well and eventually fall from your puffy eyes. Your mouth hangs open in awe and astonishment. And your heart beats in a different rhythm with every scene. 

I especially loved Anne Hathaway's heart-wrenching version of "I Dreamed a Dream" and Samantha Barks' emotionally-charged rendition of "On My Own".

After the film, we went window shopping, browsed through books and clothes. And at the end of the day, we sat by the Manila Bay with the colours of sunset painted in the horizon.










Andz

No comments:

Post a Comment