Pages

Wednesday 24 December 2014

Christmas Illustrations



About a week before Christmas day - which is tomorrow (oh, how time flies!) - I devoted a few hours a night to paint a card (or two) that says "Happy Christmas" in a different language - most of them are the native languages of close friends and almost-family (I intend to upload the photos on Facebook and tag people, knowing how the post operates during the holidays). 

It was quite a challenge that I subjected myself to, since I was pretty much bored most of the time, and also because I wanted to practise painting with watercolour, experiment with other media, and to test my skill in lettering, which, I can honestly tell you, is really poor.

Making the cards was not easy. In fact, it was mostly frustrating. It's a lot like me writing, when I'd curse myself for doing badly in my pursuit. 

Anyhow, I am happy about how the illustrations turned out, cos they're not that bad or too embarrassing to show you.

Happy Christmas, everyone! :)


CZECH
I chose to paint a wreath made of colourful Christmas lights for this one.
I used a metallic pen to add the silver twinkly effect. :)

SLOVAK
I went a bit overboard with this card, but I really like how the nail decals
complemented with my watercolour "painting".

DUTCH
I've always wondered why the girl and the boy in the
popular Dutch ceramic souvenir are kissing, so I gave them a
reason to kiss: I placed them under a mistletoe. Haha! :)

FRENCH
Inspired by the wreath we have at home, I combined sprigs and hollies to
make this card.

FINNISH
Thinking it's probably like Frozen in Finland right now,
I made use of cool blue colours to paint baubles that
come in different shapes.

SPANISH
I love poinsettias and I love the Spanish language, so I thought, why not
combine the two? ¡Jaja! :)

ENGLISH
I wanted the English greeting to look playful, so I mixed cheery colours
with metallic ones.

FILIPINO
I had a difficult time deciding on what I should paint for the Filipino
greeting, probably because I wanted it to mean a lot, since I'm a Filipino
myself. Then it came to me: the PAROL! It's the most significant
emblem of our Christmas, so that's what I painted!


Andz

No comments:

Post a Comment