Pages

Tuesday 5 March 2013

A Rangoli Love Affair



I first saw a Rangoli on TV a few years ago. I was watching The Amazing Race, and a challenge in India involved the making of Rangoli. I found all the colours and the designs simply beautiful and interesting that I instantly fell in love with them. However, it wasn't until I saw Tabu drawing a Kolam in Life of Pi that I got to research about the art.

Coloured rice powder drawn in elaborate or geometric patterns make up a kolam, sometimes called rangoli - a form of Indian folk art believed to bring prosperity to homes. Rangoli are usually drawn on living room and courtyard floors during Hindu festivals, and are meant to be sacred welcoming areas for Hindu gods.

Drawing a rangoli isn't that difficult if you know what to do. It was foolish of me to try copying those rangoli images I managed to Google without knowing the steps of drawing them the right and easy way. 

You see, illustrations typically start out with those circles, ovals, rectangles, cross lines, and whatnot. But drawing a rangoli doesn't require such mess. Just dots - loads of them. And it's up to you to connect those dots to make the pattern you desire. It may sound simple enough, but it can be quite confusing. With some practise, though, you'll be able to draw some decent rangoli patterns.

Since I have no idea where I could get the rice powder I need to make a rangoli at the threshold of our house, I simply painted some. They're not at all great, but good enough for a beginner like me.

My messy work table filled with my rangoli drawing attempts





I was so drawn into rangoli patterns that I Sharpied one on my wrist :)

Someday, I'll travel to India to see (and maybe, get the chance to draw) a real rangoli...


Andz

No comments:

Post a Comment